Saturday, 11 July 2015

Making the sheer maxi skirt - sunset chiffon with feather print

I made a long skirt for thisummer. I am not very fond of maxi aka long skirts.(All my skirts are short or midi length). But when I found this lovely chiffon fabric with awesome feather print, I simply grabbed it. When I saw it I realised that the only garment that looks good with such big print would be a skirt. 

sheer chiffon maxi long skirt with feather print. pattern is drafted.Wide yoke and bias cut waistband. completely lined skirt. craftsy class to sew sheer
I love sheer fabric and I have made a lot of garments from it. I purchased a lot of yardage to make two skirts , one for me and one for my best buddy. I made sure her skirts reaches her(she lives in the States:P) , and she isuper happy too. Hope she is reading this post now and will send me pics of herself wearing it LOL.

sheer chiffon maxi long skirt with feather print. pattern is drafted.Wide yoke and bias cut waistband. completely lined skirt. craftsy class to sew sheer
As breezy to wear as it looks !!
I enrolled myself in the craftsy class Sewing sheers with Sara Alm, I found the class pretty useful for the tips included to make stuff from sheers. I love the green pleated top that the instructor has made, wanna make one like that next. Making something with chiffon is really tricky as it is ultra sheer and not does not cooperate much while sewing. Hence a good amount of tips in this area is good.
I have some random shots of me in the skirt below. The print is not well captured but it is relly beautiful.
sheer chiffon maxi long skirt with feather print. pattern is drafted.Wide yoke and bias cut waistband. completely lined skirt. craftsy class to sew sheer   sheer chiffon maxi long skirt with feather print. pattern is drafted.Wide yoke and bias cut waistband. completely lined skirt. craftsy class to sew sheer
 Let me tell some details of how I made thiskirt. Basically it is completely lined and self drafted , I took custom measurements and drafted it. I made sure there is a wide waistband. I cut the waist band on bias, for a cool look, chiffon fabric has the diagonal lines which looks good on bias. I drafted it on my own so all the ease added is as per my likes(love this). 
While making thiskirt I used the tips mentioned for preparing and cutting fabric. However for rolled hem the fabric did not beve well with the rolled hem foot and hence I did the traditional double fold hem(1/8").

sheer chiffon maxi long skirt with feather print. pattern is drafted.Wide yoke and bias cut waistband. completely lined skirt. craftsy class to sew sheer
Bias cut waistband
Recently I was on a weekend trip and wore thiskirt for the onward car ride. It was a good feeling , light in weight and felt abreezy as it looks.
Did you like the print and color of the skirt? What is your take on super sheer fabrics used any ? Until next time happy time :)

8 comments:

  1. Well done with the drafting, Diya. The skirt fits you so well and looks great. I recently tried a rolled hem on sheer fabric. Think I should have used a narrower foot. I ended up doing a narrow hem as you did. I'll try again, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam :)I dont like skirt patterns because they never fit me at waist. I loved drafting this one. My fabric was too thin for the foot, narrow hem was easy to make on this one. since it was hem I allowed it to curve as I folded , flowy hem did not matter here LOL

      Delete
  2. This is so gorgeous!! I love the color and print. Nicely done and such a lovely fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy :) Nothing better than a skirt well fit at the waist LOL

      Delete
  3. Now this is my style! I love the color and print. I imagine the chiffon to be super light and airy which is perfect for this hot weather we have this summer. You did a great job, and I know your friend will enjoy her new skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really , nice to know you like long skirts:) I am not too tall to look good in it though :D Thanks for stopping by Libby

      Delete
  4. This is a gorgeous skirt. I love the feathers~

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments:)