Sunday, 1 June 2014

Polly top in sheer chiffon + Pattern hack + Sewing Indie

The moment I decided to use chiffon for this tank(Polly top by BHL) top, I knew it is not going to be easy. As I had to treat two layers as one for getting the depth of color. Phew!! Pinning and Patience were the key elements to complete this top:D. Finally its done and here it is.I have a lot of useful tips also to share when it comes to sewing with chiffon(Click on link below to read full post).
Polly top free sewing pattern by hand london made with chiffon fabrics french seams
Polly top in sheer chiffon with a little twist!
Polly top free sewing pattern by hand london made with chiffon fabrics french seams
There are two layers of fabric..
I am going to enter this top of mine to the Pattern hack category of the sew indie month(you might be have seen the badge on my side bar for the whole month of May)So here I write a little on the pattern hack I did.I wanted to maintain the silhouette and the design element of the pattern as it is.
1)I cut the center front pieces separately and added more than an inch seam allowance along the center front.So that when I sew and press at the wrong side the sheerness of the fabric gives a look as if a placket is behind.
2)Then I added a Tab from the neck till the point where the contrast block begins.
3)I added some fun fabric bound buttons :)
And lo another cute version of Polly top is ready.
Polly top free sewing pattern by hand london made with chiffon fabrics french seams
A snippet form my initial sketch of the pattern twist.
I do more of pin-less sewing generally(of course sheers are exceptions). I do not know what drove me to choose chiffon fabrics for the Polly top.I guess it was the color of the fabric that drove me to buy them instantly. Later I realized that the color depth appears only when multiple layers of chiffon are stacked. So I treated two layers of fabric as one for sewing. The top is finished with french seams(even the front curvy patch). Neckline and armholes with chiffon bias binding.
Polly top free sewing pattern by hand london made with chiffon fabrics french seams
Checked pants look cool na ;) ?
Why I chose this pattern?? I really like the dresses that the By Hand London pattern shop comes out with.Also,before I try this new company I wanted to try a free pattern, to get the sizing right and also a feel of their instructions. The Sew Indie month was also quite enticing to make something in the month of may.So I finally decided to make the Polly top. I just completed my top four days back and got the pics ready today. Better late than never LOL.
Polly top free sewing pattern by hand london made with chiffon fabrics french seams
I love the sheerness.
I chose a size 8 as it just matched my measurements. But the top was very deep and pretty much loose.So I had to reduce the shoulder strap length by more than an inch and take in at the sides before I did the french seams. I later on read many reviews which said that taking in at the shoulder straps was something many of them did.
Polly top free sewing pattern by hand london made with chiffon fabrics french seams
Totally free to wear and jump with joy LOL !!
Now let me share some tips which I had read on many blogs or books , which did help me out to sew it gleefully(without cursing the slippery fabric).
1) I stabilized the fabric using a little amount of stabilizer. Do not use too much of it else the drapey chiffon-ness is lost.
2)Though I needed two fabric pieces of each pattern piece. I cut them separately. And basted them together later before sewing.
3) The pattern pieces on fold I cut them out not on fold. So always while cutting, if it is a single layer of fabric then it is easier to sail through.
4)A lot of pinning helps to match the pieces neatly. Nearly a pin every half an inch.
5)Just with the top tips everything else worked out well with normal settings(I mean the stitch length etc)

So guys did you like my top. Have you made a Polly top for yourself ?

12 comments:

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)I reply questions right here.. So check back :) If your comment does not appear, then there is a bug. Try adding again.