Monday, 16 June 2014

Sugar and Spice Handbag pattern completed + Review

There is a leopard printed bag now in my room!! I made it (tap dance;)). I feel any dressmaker will feel the urge to make a bag or two sooner or later. I made a clutch a couple of weeks ago. It was so lovely that I wanted to make a handbag too:) Read all about the pattern I used and my experience making the bag.
Handbag sewing pattern pdf printable nag made with satin fabric with leopord print and black contrast with rings
Growlllllllllllllll.. Leopard inside :D

When I started sewing with the aim of making wearable garments, I did not have the slightest notion I would venture to make a bag for myself. But as I read blogs and saw patterns on bags, there was some sort of itch to try it one day. Finally I made the eve clutch.I will write a post on it soon(Sometimes my posts are chronological. Never mind. Post late than never LOL). I liked Christine's way of explaining the method so much that I wanted to try out another pattern.
I decided on the Sugar and Spice bag pattern. And here I go writing my complete story.
Handbag sewing pattern pdf printable nag made with satin fabric with leopord print and black contrast with rings
The pattern: It is roomy on the inside, yet not too big. Perfect for office. Finished size is 14"*8". It is has a recesses zip opening. Slip pockets on the outside and inside. Contrast piping on all edges adds to the beauty of the bag. Not for the first timer. But definitely anyone who has made a couple of bags wont find it difficult.

Preparation: Any bag would require hardware to make it sturdy and fancy too. This pattern required D/Oval rings and rivets(which are optional).Now where to buy Drings. Online purchase too expensive on the shipping and I have no stores to buy from.Some months back I had pulled some rings from an old handbag which was completely worn out.I had preserved them like diamonds to make a bag one day:D. So I used them here.
Fabric shopping was dreadful. I went roaming many shops to find the kind of fabric for my bag(which I had on my mind- some sort of geometric prints).All I found was florals:(. Finally I came back home without anything. Later that night, I was just looking through my stash and realized that I had a leopard print satin fabric (for home decor). Wow I jumped and squealed. I started singing "I searched in Rome when the fabric was at home" LOL. Later I purchased the interfacing , zipper and was ready to kick start.
Handbag sewing pattern pdf printable nag made with satin fabric with leopord print and black contrast with rings
Recessed Zipper. I love bags that close with a zipper :)
Making- I read the instructions once , twice to get familiar.They are simply super! The steps are really neat and full of photos. Only difficult areas was while sewing the base. The curved edges was not so easy to sew. I wonder if it will get easier with experience.
I broke 3 needles while sewing the bag handles. Size 16 needles yet the layers of fabrics were too much to take. I have broken needles when I made the wallet and the carry all bag as well LOL. So my mantra is probably needle breakage + Hard work = Good bag !
I also like to make a special mention on the recessed zipper. I love Christine's technique. It is so so so simple. It is like a piece of cake! Love it.
Handbag sewing pattern pdf printable nag made with satin fabric with leopord print and black contrast with rings
Replaced Exterior slip pockets with a zipper pocket. Grr!! The pic is so blur.
Changes I made to the pattern - I omitted the slip pockets at the back and replaced with a zippered pocket. I increased the height by as little as 0.5 inch. I did not add piping to the top curvy sided. I did not want to be adventurous to try piping on curved edges.Nothing else. The bag is just as it was described.
Handbag sewing pattern pdf printable nag made with satin fabric with leopord print and black contrast with rings
This is a great pattern. It is definitely worth checking out the other styles in the shop. You like it ? Have you made bags for yourself ? Which is your favoutite style?
You can check out the other bags and purses I have made here.

23 comments:

  1. Very cute Diya :) it'll look great with those checker board pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he . I am just imagining :)

      Delete
  2. For future hardware, you might check out strapworks.com I found their prices and shipping to be quite reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good ref. Thanks a bunch!

      Delete
  3. Ooooh! I really like this bag!! Yours looks so good! I want to make a fun bag like this for summer. It looks like it has loads of storage. What a fun animal print!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy :) Its totally customization too.

      Delete
  4. Very cute - great effort. I had a go at making a bag the other day and found the curved base a bit of a nightmare (and also managed a broken needle, oops) so maybe it does come with experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to find that I am not alone :D Thanks for the appreciation so sweet.

      Delete
  5. FABULOUS job Diya! :) I really love that leopard print....it suits the bag perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee ! Thanks for the amazing pattern

      Delete
  6. Brilliant bag Diya, you can't go wrong with a leopard print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you are right Fiona. The sheen of the fabric hides all sins :D

      Delete
  7. What? You made that fab bag? Really lovely. Wish I had your talent......:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he . Thanks. Why not go grab the pattern and get started;)

      Delete
  8. Love it, Diya... pockets, style, size, it all works to make a great bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute bag and great post on the process! Going to check out the pattern now. Haven't been brave enough to venture into making too many bags yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Cool. Hope you will like it as much as I do :)

      Delete
  10. I made this bag too. Your review is right on. I quilted my fabric before starting and made the bag a bit shorter and wider.
    http://15septemberarts.blogspot.com/2014/04/sugar-spice-bag-by-chris-w-designs.html
    Hope you will take a look. It is right now my every day bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow . I am stopping by right away!

      Delete
  11. HI Diya
    Your bag is fantasic, I love the leopard print! Such a great design.
    Thanks for sharing the link.
    I have just started to teach myself to sew and have started out with bags.
    I found your blog through the Threading My Way linky party.
    Michelle :o)
    http://stitchunpickrepeat.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)I reply questions right here.. So check back :) If your comment does not appear, then there is a bug. Try adding again.