Tuesday, 3 June 2014

A drawstring dress from a kimono tee

I made a casual dress with a drawstring at the waist and pockets(my favorite). So whats the big deal right? Well the point here is this is a pattern hack. I drafted this pattern from a simple kimono tee by Maria Denmark patterns. It actually is not very different from the original. Just a few extensions and I got a new dress.(Click the link below to read more).
Free sewing pattern maria denmark kristen tee with kimono sleeves and boat neck easy and super for beginers


When you sign up for the newsletter at Maria Denmark site. You get a link to download a free sewing pattern. That turns out to be a Kristen Tee. It is a simple design with Kimono sleeves, really good for beginners. So that is only two pattern pieces which prints off in 12 pages. Cool!. The next pattern I am going to download is the Edith blouse. It kind of attracted me a lot. This one does not have sleeves too. Sometimes I feel setting in a sleeve is one thing for which I take a lot of time and the only reasons or many UFOs in my sewing room;)

Free sewing pattern maria denmark kristen tee with kimono sleeves and boat neck easy and super for beginers

The instructions are pictured and good. Especially on sewing with knits and finishing off the neckline.I used a fabric which had very little stretch. The shop keeper told me it was viscose.Now with my little bit knowledge of fabrics, I have never know what original viscose is supposed to look like.It felt soft enough for me to buy it.
So I decided to make a muslin and saw that it was a little loose on me. Though the size should have been perfect(I made a size M). I read reviews on the net that may of them who tried this out had found it a little loose that expected. I did not bother to correct the side seams and take them in for getting a better fit. After all a drawstring dress will look classy with a little baggy fit. Another obvious correction I had to make to the pattern was the neckline. It is a boat neck which was too wide for me. So I pinched off nearly half an inch from the shoulders to get the shoulders to stay on the shoulders LOL.
Free sewing pattern maria denmark kristen tee with kimono sleeves and boat neck easy and super for beginers
Snapshot of my plan for the pattern hack !
I was quite impressed with drawstrings after makiing the blouse with sweetheart neckline and drawstring from the Burdastyle sewing handbook.How I drafted the drawstring waist dress with pockets form this original pattern:
1) Extended the pattern till mid thigh length. Retaining the seam at the low waistline. I made sure that after extending it was at least 4 inches wider than my hips.
2)I added a casing at the waist seam to insert the drawstring.
3)I added pockets. That is it! My pattern hack was done.
Free sewing pattern maria denmark kristen tee with kimono sleeves and boat neck easy and super for beginers

I am adding this to the pattern hack category for the indie sewing month. I debated a lot whether to add this or not. As I did not have time for taking the pictures and writing a post. But finally I decided and here I am writing about it , when there is just a days time:D.
If you liked my hack , then let me know in the comments.Have you tried the Maria Denmark patterns? Have a good day.

6 comments:

  1. This turned out lovely! I love the print and the style of the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I have a similar fabric in pink as well LOL. Went crazy and purchased it in two colors.

      Delete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)I reply questions right here.. So check back :) If your comment does not appear, then there is a bug. Try adding again.