Thursday, 8 May 2014

A tank top with lots of layers..

Hello :) Any guesses on which pattern I used to make this top??.[Click below to read more]



Well it must have been quite easy to guess. I drafted it on my own. Wait! Not the entire shell, i drafted the lovely layers on the front. But I used the Colette Sorbetto top pattern as the base. Its definitely got a big deal of makeover . What say ? :D I made this top as an entry to the Terrific tanks contest at the patternreview. The rule was that we simply have to make a tank top and add more fun elements to it. It could be ruffles, gathers, yokes embellishment , painting (list s long). I chose layers. You can read my complete review here.


I was inspired by an RTW top which I saw on a mannequin recently and wanted to make one. I chose a slippery and smooth satin crepe. I wonder how I find it easy to sew sheer fabrics(this ones only semi sheer). Each time I make something out of sheer fabric I love the process of making it and of course wearing it too.I somehow have got over the feeling that slippery fabrics are difficult to sew.

Talking a little on my sweet pink top. Initially I thought it was too bright a color. But later on as the layers got added I fell in love with it. I spent a lot of time analyzing how to design the layers. Then a little thought process on how to finish the seams and raw edges. I had to try some experiments on cutting out the layers on different grain as well. To get the best effect, without getting the feeling of a bulky top.

I am planning to write a tutorial on how I drafted this one. If anyone is interested then do leave a comment. Only based on that will I be inspired to write the detailed steps:).

Happy sewing till my next post. C ya.

19 comments:

  1. You got my vote. Such a nice top and color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye. So nice of you..

      Delete
  2. You did a great job reworking the top, it has turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did spend a lot of time and effort hacking it :D

      Delete
  3. This is so awesome! I love how they look like petals. Such a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good analogy - Petals. Thanks Kathy!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous little top. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am elated to get such a compliment from a designer I admire .. Thanks Rhonda :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely idea and execution has come out well ! I would love to know how you drafted it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anitha.. I will contact you by email..

      Delete
  6. Love it! I would be very excited about a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cool. Thanks for letting me. Can you somehow leave me your email address?

      Delete
  7. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...with a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Can you leave me your email?

      Delete
  8. This is very pretty. I would be interested in a tutorial too :)

    ReplyDelete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)I reply questions right here.. So check back :) If your comment does not appear, then there is a bug. Try adding again.