Thursday, 13 March 2014

Sassy Librarian Blouse - Completed!

Heya !! Today its time to talk about my latest creation ( adding a lot of close up shots to observe the details ;))- The Sassy Librarian Blouse. Have you heard of it ? This is a class at the craftsy platform.I am totally in love with the class and the pattern.[Click on the link below to read full Text]
Sassy librarian blouse by Christine haynes craftsy class blouse with tucks
Sassy Librarian blouse :)



Sassy librarian blouse by Christine haynes craftsy class blouse with tucks
I recently purchased this class and was very eager to make the blouse. The instructor is Christine Haynes, author of the book - Sew Chic and simple. It is a fun to learn class.She is very friendly throughout the class,talking about the very basics of sewing as she makes the blouse herself.Thanks to her for that :) While watching the video it is a very good idea to make notes in the notes window or in a book. As I had watched the video some days back and it was useful that I referred to my notes for tricky steps. Or else I should have watched the video all over again.There is a pattern that is provided with the class as a download.The pattern has to be printed on paper and it was quite a number of pages.I dislike printing out patterns and using so much paper.Since it had colored lines on it and I printed in grey scale . Some were not visible I had to set them right before I got to cutting. I had to spend lot of time taping the papers and cutting out - but it was all worth the effort.
Sassy librarian blouse by Christine haynes craftsy class blouse with tucks
I love the tucks .
I chose the View B of the Sassy librarian blouse. Simply because of the tucks :D What I particularly like about this blouse is the tucks. I had once chosen to the Dress J from Stylish dress book. This dress pattern also featured tucks. But the instructions was overwhelming and also the tucks were too closely spaced for a first-timer. So I chucked the entire fabric which I had cut to make that dress. It was light blue in color and I felt bad to discard it :(. So I was extra careful to make the tucks on this blouse. I took a lot of time and made sure  I got the things right. I used a cotton with satin weave. 
Sassy librarian blouse by Christine haynes craftsy class blouse with tucks
Close up of the arm bands.
Attaching the sleeves was not a problem.It is simple band sleeves. Next time I want to make the sleeves a little longer.Talking about the big black buttons I have used. I chose to add buttons with big diameter because I recently read somewhere about button sizes in proportion to the button band width. Here since the tab was wide enough to hold a 5/8th inch button, I went for it.
Sassy librarian blouse by Christine haynes craftsy class blouse with tucks
The back View of the release pleats!
I like the pattern silhouette. Both the two models wearing the blouse in the class advertisement(both views) I feel near the bust it is slightly loose and not tight fitted. I guess it is because of the shaping with release pleats. Somehow I do not like the release pleats.I guess it will suit people with an upper triangle figure or a more fuller bust. So I omitted the release pleats on the front side. I am any day a fan of darts than release pleats for shaping a garment! I faced a problem with the back side.(The upper back especially near the neck gapes a lot). So, I have to constantly pull the blouse from the back. It would be good if I totally omitted these release pleats next time I make one :D
Sassy librarian blouse by Christine haynes craftsy class blouse with tucks
Side view
Check out the side look of it. I shall have to take in a few inches from the side seams near the bust.
Overall , it was a good experience. If you like the blouse and the pattern is available in your size , then the class is for you. Have you had experience with any of Craftsy's sewing classes? Did you like my blouse?   Let me know:)
Have a great day.

11 comments:

  1. I have thought about signing up for that class Diya, but have yet to take the plunge into dressmaking! Thanks for the tips about sizing.

    I think your blouse looks great, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. If you are thinkg of signing up then go ahead :)It is a very nice class. Beginers can benifit from it as well!

      Delete
  2. Cute - I love the fabric and the pleats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa;) Super comfy too.

      Delete
  3. Oh this is such a beautiful blouse. Love the fabric and pleats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanls Libby. As I said it was not that difficult to make the front tucks, after a first bad experience :D

      Delete
  4. Hi Diya, I like your blouse, so pretty..You did a great job , with the tucks..
    I love craftsy classes. I have bought several of them.. I bought this one too..
    Sad to say, I never made the blouse..[even after going to the trouble of taping the pattern together..
    I got busy.. and for got about it..This makes me want to make it..ha. thank you for sharing all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diya
    Terrifice job ! you've done what was on my mind ! infact there are lot of craftsy classes which i have bookmarked, but not yet bought one ! That top is excellent, i loved the fabric choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done a really great job with those pleats - all so neat and regular. Not sure I would have either the skill or the patience! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful top. I love the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments:)