Friday, 24 January 2014

Polka dotted blouse from Ottobre magazine

I am kind of super excited writing this post. That is because I am totally in love with this new blouse which I made. I had blogged about it in my previous post here. It included a fashion illustration on how I envisioned it with contrasting ties as well. Well finally I chose to make the bow tie in a contrasting fabric but for the sleeves I stuck with the main fabric itself. (Click on the link below to read complete post and get to know all the details)
Blouse made form ottobre magazine with polka dot and bow tie

After I made the polka dotted dress there was still some fabric left. It is a sheer fabric and its quite heavy. I loved it so much that I really wanted to make something else with it as well. So I chose the Perugia top from the Ottobre Spring 2011 issue. I made a little bit of alterations. Like I added sleeves. So I can use all round the year than just Summer :D. I used my own construction method for the button placket facing. I had to do this because the fabric is transparent and I did not want to line it and spoil the flow-y look. This pattern is semi fitted with a bow tie close to the neck. The complete review on the pattern can be found here. Over all this is a simply beautifully made pattern in the magazine. I enjoyed making it!
Blouse made form ottobre magazine with polka dot and bow tie
Semi fitted style..
As I had mentioned this pattern is from the Ottobre Woman magazine spring 2011 issue. This magazine comes out twice a year with at least 19-20 patterns for women in each issue. Their blog has previews of each issue and also links to how you may subscribe to them. I write my personal opinion here listing all the pros.
Firstly, the issues are packed with interesting photographs of all the styles presented in the issue, with models who are of different body shapes. This is a plus point because it helps each one to know how the style would suit different body shapes. Also we get an idea of which fabric and print will suit best for out project .
Secondly , the summer issues has a lot of summery styles and the winter issue has a lot of warm clothing styles. 
Blouse made form ottobre magazine with polka dot and bow tie with sheer fabric
Close up of the bow
Next  the pattern sheets are colored and you will have to trace out the pieces. This can get time consuming but worth the effort:). The instructions are text only.. SO you must be at least an intermediate sewer to grasp them. If you already have experience then it will be as easy as a cake walk reading through them.
To mention on the sizing .. these come in a wide range of sizes. So that sounds awesome .
The only two minor factors which doesn't suit me personally are that the winter issue styles do not suit me much being a citizen of a warm weather country:D And there are lot of patterns which require stretch fabric. And I don't have access to them (boo-hoo) Anyone knows where in the online world do we get stretch fabrics for less with less shipping costs? Let me know in the comments please. 
So did you like my blouse? Glad that this one has turned out good and I am going to wear it with my bright red pants !(they look too bright on these photos :D)

Blouse made form ottobre magazine with polka dot and bow tie with sheer fabric
Nah! the bow tied up only looks good !

Ottobre team is really doing a good job in providing such wonderful inspiration for home sewers :) Kudos!! I am going to be adding this as a part of the Sew Book inspired series. Also more projects from this magazine I shall be adding it here.SO watch out for more :)
So friends what do you do if there is favorite fabric of yours left over after a project? Do you get bored to make something else with it ? Let me know I am curious to hear from you .. Happy Sewing ..

19 comments:

  1. wow, well done! It looks great, very professionally made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy ! It is a great pattern to try :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful blouse, the placket front looks great your method worked beautifully.

    Thanks for linking up to New to Me too Diya!
    http://celticthistlestitches.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/new-to-me-in-january.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona.. New to me suits me a lot! I keep trying new stuff always:D

      Delete
  3. You certainly nailed the look you sketched! I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam and Faye. There is more enthu now to draw more too !

      Delete
  4. It looks awesome. Classic and classy. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very cute - well done! I wish I could make clothes but am still a little scared to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura.. The year I started making clothes .. I made a lot of flops :D

      Delete
  6. This looks really good and you look very happy in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he Thanks to hubby for clicking the pic at the right moment :D

      Delete
  7. Looks like my first comment didn't come through - I don't think my ipad wants me to leave comments! This top looks lovely! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some others have also mentioned this problem Lisa :( Thanks for adding it again and letting me know of this blogger bug (If it is one)!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful Diya ! I'm glad that you actually implemented what was in your mind !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he .. Thanks for stopping by Anitha..

      Delete
  9. Oooh, you made a very lovely blouse! Kudos to you. :-)

    p.s. As for the leftover fabric. Most times I have grande dreams of putting it to use but often times I get bored because I already used it for what I initially wanted and would much prefer to swap scraps with other people because it's "new" to me and a challenge to see how to use it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby :) That is such a lovely idea of swapping.. Hope I shall find some sewing friends around:D

      Delete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)I reply questions right here.. So check back :) If your comment does not appear, then there is a bug. Try adding again.