Saturday, 18 January 2014

How about learning Fashion illustration !?!?

This question was on my mind, for quite some time- "How about learning Fashion illustration !?!?"And finally I took the first step. I made an illustration of a to-do blouse. And I am sharing it with all of you:) Its not a very mature drawing. But I guess I can excuse myself because it my first fashion drawing. I am not keen on getting all the details of the facial features. But I want to visualize the fabric , print and design on paper before I get deep into the project. Read more to find out all details..(click on link below to go to full post)
Learning fashion drawing of a polka dot blouse



In the past I have tried using Photoshop to create visualization of how the fabric will look on the line drawing. I have in fact done it for every dress or top I have made. But I never blogged about them :D. As I did not find them amusing enough to write a post on it.This method is really quick and best. But there is not much of creativity in it. So I wanted to illustrate BY HAND.
I got myself a super cute book called the Fashion design workshop to get started. The drawings in there are pretty much for an younger adult or more say for children  LOL. But still it serves ,my purpose too.
Ottobre magazine spring 2011 issue front cover
I am planning to make a blouse with bow tie.Featured on the Ottobre magazine cover (Spring issue 2011). It is a lovely pattern. The model is wearing a silk floral printed blouse.More on the magazine in my next post. Now lets get talking about my to-do blouse ...The fabric I have in hand for this is the one I used for making the polka dot dress. I wanted to see if the bow tie would look good in the self fabric or in black aka a contrasting fabric.I also wanted to add a sort of small cap-pish sleeve to the blouse. So I just created my illustration to figure out what looks best. Well I can see that the bow tie in a contrasting color looks good. But the contrasting cap sleeves are too dramatic what say ? I don't prefer these.. Probably a short sleeve in the main fabric itself will look better. Any thought on these?

Learning fashion drawing of a polka dot blouse
I shall soon write on what I decide to make of course after I complete the blouse :)

By the way this question is to all my sewing friends out there..
Do you visualize the fabric in your pattern before starting to cut the fabric? Or are you good at eye balling the print and say if it will look good with a particular pattern? Do let me know in the comments.. I am very curious to read about it:)

Update: This project is completed. Click here to view photos and more details.

8 comments:

  1. Well done! It doesn't look immature at all to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa ! Thats quite motivating :)

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! Awesome illustration, Diya... not immature at all. I think the contrasting sleeves look good, but they'd work equally well in the main fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and your opinion Pam . I am going to try out both and see what works out best !

      Delete
  3. Impressive hand drawing! I never visualized fabrics for a project in a drawing. But I haven't sewn much apparel... or am I too lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first hand drawing for visualisation .. Wonder if I will keep up this trend or not :D

      Delete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)Also it helps me find more crafty bloggers. If you have a question I reply to them right here.. So check back :)