Monday, 18 November 2013

Tutorial : How to draft a stylish peplum

Free pattern drafting tutorial on how to draft an asymetrical peplum for a very stylish look


I have some exciting news to share with you all today :) After I made the Gunmetal dress, I wanted to share how I drafted the asymmetrical peplum. This is a very easy method of converting an existing blouse pattern with a peplum to the look you can below in the picture.
So why wait. Here we go!
Materials Needed:
1) A blouse pattern with a peplum.- You may have a store bought pattern or a self drafted pattern.
2) Paper to draw the new pattern on. Is must be at least 10 inches longer and wider than the existing peplum pattern.
3) Stationery - Pencils , Scissors , Scale

Here is the summary of the procedure. Refer to the text below to get the complete details.



A free pattern drafting tutorial on how to draft an asymetrical peplum. This gives a very stylish look to any top or dress. Simple and easy tutorial on pattern drafting

Step 1 - Place the peplum pattern on the new paper. I used the skirt of the Gunmetal dress.I could have used the burda blouse which has a peplum too. Make sure the seam allowances are removed.You can add them to the new draft later after step4.

Step 2 - Extend the side seam line by 6.5 inches. I found this length to be optimum.ANything longer might result in long tails at the sides, which might not be very appealing.
Step 3- Mark the end point of the newly drawn line as A. And the end point of the Centre Fromt line as B. Join A and B.
Step 4 - Cut out the pattern from paper. Add seam allowance all around except the edge which will be placed on fold.
Step 5 - Cut out from fabric and sew and create your own versions :) 

Well this was a piece of cake isnt it ? Let me know if you try it out.I would be pleased to receive an email from you or a comment on how you liked my top or tutorial.


Have a great day!!


I might have linked up this tutorial in some of the links mentioned here.

12 comments:

  1. Once again a very nice dress and loved the details provided. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a flattering top, Diya. I love the lace sleeves and the square neckline!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is absolutely adorable! great tutorial, too! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my top! Thanks Jaya

      Delete
  4. Hi Diya
    I LOVE your version of the peplum!
    This is on my list to try when I make the gunmetal again:)
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Really ! Thats nice. I would love to see your version :)

      Delete
  5. Wow that's great and so easy! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)Also it helps me find more crafty bloggers. If you have a question I reply to them right here.. So check back :)