Sunday, 29 September 2013

Retro Mania ! I made a polka dotted dress

As the post title describes , I am writing something which was a fad in the past. Polka dots!! What does Polka mean actually. I never bothered to find out really ;) What comes to your mind when someone refers to polka first ?? For me it will be Minnie mouse LOL..

 I love fabrics with polka dots. As a child I detested it , I used to think that it was so drab and boring. But as a seamstress I have known that a fabric with pols dotted print is open for a lot of variations and lovely combinations. In the past I have made this blouse  , skirt , and tunic top with polka prints.

polka dot dress from burdastyle sewing handbook
I have only 1 picture to show off :/
Okay! So, coming back to the main content. It my first lined dress !Yeahh.. Wait a minute I must say 'My first successfully lined dress :)'. My friend gave me around 2 yards of white crepe fabric with big and black polka dots. I loved the print . This one required a lining. So I thought of giving it a try. I used the Dress pattern from book - Burdastyle sewing handbook to make the bodice. I drafted the skirt myself. I did not want an A-line skirt which the pattern originally had, instead I wanted a little bit of gathers near the waist.

I spent loads of time making this dress. The fabric was so delicate , it needed special attention and also lining it was a tedious task. I know what all the sewing BIGgies must be thinking. But for me the first lined dress in a sheer fabric was not a cake walk.

I made it for the copycat challenge again at Erin's blog. I was inspired these two dresses.Check it out here and here. I made the sleeves and the bodice with princess seams as in the first dress and the fitted skirt with the wide contrast belt as in the second one.
I have blogged about my first dress from this book here. I had written then that when I make this dress pattern again I would use sheer fabrics as suggested, and Lo I made it :)

This post is published as a part of the Sew book inspired series . Click below to view more.

Do you have any such polka inspiration to share ? How did you like my dress? Do leave your comments I so so love to read them.

1 comment:

I love your comments:)