Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Sewing a wallet which has...

... a lot of compartments. Oh Boy! I love pockets , be it on clothes I wear or in a bag which I carry the more the merrier;). I always loved to wear skirts and pants overloaded with pockets as a child too. I love the rosie skirt I made with adorable patch pockets. 
Free wallet sewing pattern
My favourite wallet:)
I was on the lookout for a wallet pattern which would help me keep my items organized. I found this lovely wallet sewing pattern made from scraps and I wanted to make one! It looked so lovely with so many compartments and I fell for it. I started cutting out the pieces nearly a month back , but somehow it got lost in my stash and until two days back it hid there. I completed it yesterday and sharing all the details of the making with you..
Free Wallet sewing pattern
Zippered !!
It features 10 pockets to stack cards and 3 pockets to hold cash. And a mini coin pocket to jingle all the way! There was some scraps of medium weight fabrics which I used to make this wallet. The red plaid fabric I used for the edges and the black makes a good contrast. I was doubtful how it would look before assembling the pieces. Lisa also shares a tutorial on how to sew the wallet. I found it very useful.The steps are very clear and every step has a picture too.
Free Wallet sewing pattern
Things are safe inside
I found it difficult to sew the zip on the edges as they were very thick. It broke my machine needle too. But this project doesn't get the credit of being the first to break the needle. Last week when I was making a pant it went snap for the first time. I actually got scared hearing the snap sound. I thought something crashed !. This is the reason I did not add the wristlet because it would become too fat to sew. Maybe for the next one I make I might think of it..
Anyway speaking about this wallet I love the way it has turned out. 
Free Wallet sewing pattern
Lot of card holding pockets!


Free Wallet sewing pattern


Free Wallet sewing pattern
A bonus coin pocket!
 I would make it another time but for the pockets I would use a light weight material to reduce the bulk. And also it would be a very good idea to cut out the seam allowances from the interfacing too. 
I enjoyed making this wallet and The process of clicking snaps too. Which is your favourite wallet/purse pattern ? Did you like mine ;) If you did then go check out the pattern and start making one.. And let me know in your comments I love reading them as always.
Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments:

  1. Your wallet is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a perfect wallet!!!Great work! I love all details and fabrics too! Thanks for sharing it!
    Hope you have a good week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your wallet.. and all the pockets.. Just perfect. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you have done a GREAT job Diya! It looks like a great design too! Thanks for sharing!
    Christine
    ChrisW Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on pockets -- I like pockets everything. In fact, when it comes to wallets or purses, I am extremely fussy as I'd need more than 2 good-sized coin compartments and "separable" dollar note sections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the wallet and thanks for the link to her blog, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey thats fantabulous:-)
    you have become a awesome professionalist in stitching:-)

    Keep up the good work!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for trying the pattern, Diya! Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous wallet, Diya, with all the compartments and pockets. Totally practical and it looks great, too!!! I've featured your wallet today...
    http://www.threadingmyway.com/2013/07/threading-your-way-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks very professional! Thanks for reviewing the pattern...I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute wallet, I like the red plaid fabric. I've had that with a needle too and I wasn't even sewing anything that thick, the needle was just old I think. It gives you such a fright doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a fabulous job! So many compartments. That plaid would be a huge hit in the area where I work. Lots of Scottish accents and decor.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments:)